Vegan ice cream is just as delicious as the dairy sort. The ice cream turns out to taste just like cookies and cream; it is smooth and creamy, with a bit of crunch from the cookies. The chocolaty color is due to the fact that crushing up some cookies very finely, while leaving others in bigger chunks. If you only want chunks, stir in the crushed up cookies after the ice cream base has churned in the ice cream maker. And yes, it is thoroughly recommended that you use an ice cream maker for this recipe.
This works best with low fat soy milk, which will yield a slightly creamier outcome than non-fat. Using vanilla soy milk will give you even more vanilla flavor.
- 3 cups vanilla soy milk
- 5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6-10 vegan cookies, chocolate preferably (depending on how much cookie you want!)
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk, sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a simmer, then scrape out the vanilla bean, stirring the seeds into the milk mixture, and discard the pod.
- Whisk cornstarch together with remaining 1/2 cup soy milk and pour into the hot vanilla milk mixture, while whisking constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium low and, stirring occasionally, cook until it has thickened and starts to bubble (3-5 minutes). Stir in almond extract.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Crush cookies and add both cookies and chilled cream base into your ice cream maker and freeze according to directions.
- Makes 4 generous servings, more than enough to cool you off on a hot day.
Things You'll Need
- Ice cream maker
- Large saucepan
- Refrigeration, freezer
- How to Make Vegan Cupcakes
- How to Make Cinnamon Banana Blueberry Vegan Cake
- How to Make Basic Vegan Nut Roast
- How to Make Princess Cake (Vegan)
- How to Make Vegan Fruit Slices
Sources and Citations
- Original source of article, Baking Sheet, Cookies & Cream Vegan Ice Cream, shared under a creative commons licence.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Make Cookies and Cream Vegan Ice Cream. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.