Low Calorie and Vegetarian Recipes - the Delicious Options
Author: Kelly Limpert
It is common belief that low calorie and vegetarian recipes have to challenge your palate. The truth is, however, they can be just as delicious as your favorite dishes. Now, I am about to share with you two such recipes, and you can just give them a try to convince yourself.
1. Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
You will need the following ingredients to prepare for this recipe:
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 of an onion
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- salt and pepper
To prepare, follow the steps below:
- Dice the onion, then saute it for about 4 or 5 minutes until soft.
- Pour the black beans into a large bowl and mash them until they are almost smooth.
- Add to the mashed black beans with the sauteed onions, garlic powder, onion powder, and seasoned salt.
- Crumble up the sliced bread and add them to the mixture.
- Add the flour to the mixture, a few tablespoons each time. Keep stirring after each addition.
- Add a small amount of oil into a frying pan, and heat it up.
- Scoop some of the mixture out of the bowl with your hands, and shape it into a pattie that is about 1/2 thick.
- Fry the patties until they are firm.
- Have a try and you will be amazed at the wonderful taste of the burgers.
2. Tofu Scramble
If you have ever tried vegetarian diet, you will know that tofu is always used as a meat substitute. And, the tofu scramble which we are about to try can be served as a wonderful substitute for scrambled eggs.
You need these ingredients:
- 1 block of tofu, drained and press
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons oil or margarine
Here are the steps for cooking:
- Cut the tofu into one inch cubes, and then use a fork to slightly crumble it.
- Dice your onion and bell pepper.
- Add some oil or margarine to a skillet set to medium-high.
- Add the onion, green pepper and tofu to the skillet. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add to the skillet with garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, soy sauce, and nutritional yeast.
- Cook the tofu scramble for 6 or 7 minutes, stirring frequently. When it is done, pour onto a plate and enjoy.
You can treat a tofu scramble like what you would do with scramble eggs, adding vegetables of your choice, like tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, and carrots.
Now, are you convinced that low calorie and vegetarian recipes can be just as tasteful as the non-vegetarian ones? Simply give the two recipes a try. In fact, there are thousands of people out there who are enjoying delicious and healthy vegetarian diet every single day!
Do you now intend to try these low calorie and vegetarian recipes? You can always visit us to learn more about vegetarian recipes. You may also want to check out this related article about vegetarian chili recipes.