Vegetarian Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Here is a great, healthy, vegetarian recipe which blends the awesome flavors of mushrooms and spinach. You can use this as an appetizer, side dish, or if you're a vegetarian, as a main course if you like. If nutmeg doesn't suit your taste, try paprika instead. Some people have mentioned putting either mozzerella or parmegian cheese in the mix too, but I prefer the simple, light and freh taste of this recipe as it stands. The choice is always yours though.Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms
Try cooking quick, easy meals (like this one) at first to experiment how to cook with mushrooms and how you like the taste of them, especially since mushrooms are one of the main ingredients.Ingredients
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 large flat mushrooms, stalks discarded
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Place spinach into a colander and rinse well. Trim off stems and discard. Fill a small saucepan with ¼ inch of water and lightly steam spinach leaves over low heat. Remove from heat once leaves begin to wilt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a medium sized skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Once melted, add garlic, onion and nutmeg. Allow mixture to gently sauté until onions begin to soften. Transfer pan onto an unheated burner and set aside to cool.
- In a separate skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add in mushrooms and sauté until both sides of the mushrooms have slightly browned. Transfer cooked mushrooms upside down onto an ovenproof dish.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add onion mixture, cooked spinach, bread crumbs salt and pepper and beaten egg. Mix until well combined.
- Using a spoon, arrange spinach mixture onto each mushroom cap, shaping neatly. Cover pan with aluminium foil and place into preheated oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Place stuffed mushrooms onto individual serving plates. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
I served this as an appetizer to a light shrimp barbeque with an inexpensice Chinin Blanc and my guests were thrilled with the meal.Here's to your great tastes,
For more delicious vegetarian recipes you might enjoy this downloadable cookbook.
You might also enjoy the many free recipes posted on our site at Cookbooks Online. Be sure to join my free recipe club to receive two recipes every month by email.
Article Source: Article Alley